Caleb turns 14
Dear Caleb,
You are such a special person. My new favorite thing is to watch you interact with others when you don’t know I’m watching. Sometimes I am disappointed by a sharp jab or tease with your siblings, but by in large I am blessed to see you on the steps of the gym—not getting jostled when someone steals your shoes. Just laughing and keeping an eye on them, knowing eventually your cool temper will calm the situation. I also notice how you talk to your friends and cousins in the car. Often asking lots of questions and getting them to share their opinions or interests. You do such a great job make sure others feel noticed, loved and appreciated. You go looking for people at church to find out of they could use an extra hand. I am stopped often by a mother or volunteer to let me know what a great young man you are, and something that you have done that has been a blessing to them. I see how little kids flock to you and you focus on them as if they are the only ones around. I see how you laugh when others tease you and roll with the short jokes. You have such a gift with people. And I think its because your heart is to put others first.
I know too that these things are often hard. Because you share more with me—I know that these words sometimes hurt, and some are careless towards you. However your dad and I are so proud of you. You have learned such great skills to help you with whatever God gives you to do. Your love for God and doing what is right shines through—even with tough people, hard circumstances and trying tests. I have seen you look at me and I can see what’s really going on behind those eyes. I have seen you take a deep breath and choose not to react and although you will admittedly say you have a lot still to work on and grow in-I see a little boy turning into a man and with so much potential for his future.
Although you are enjoying more independence you sill very much love being around your family. Hanging out in Jack’s room, tagging along to all family functions and field trips, and you love church, dinners, shopping trips or anything where we are going to be with others. You are the most welcoming and loving person I know.
This year you played basketball for WFMS, and then also just finished your second season of soccer playing for the middle school. Your team with 11-2 in soccer and I think you lost 3 games in basketball last year. You loved spending the summer playing golf with Grandpa Randy. You got really good by summers end. You and I also spend many a morning playing tennis at FSU. You took up mountain biking and are still doing virtual school. You are 14 Caleb Benjamin. 5 foot 1 inch and 92 pounds. I can hardly believe it. Where did all these years go? From the days of fuzzy hair and naps to plastic bats and balls, to story time and nerf guns. Now heading into driving, and high school, soon enough. Don’t grow up too fast! We love you! Happy Birthday!
You are such a special person. My new favorite thing is to watch you interact with others when you don’t know I’m watching. Sometimes I am disappointed by a sharp jab or tease with your siblings, but by in large I am blessed to see you on the steps of the gym—not getting jostled when someone steals your shoes. Just laughing and keeping an eye on them, knowing eventually your cool temper will calm the situation. I also notice how you talk to your friends and cousins in the car. Often asking lots of questions and getting them to share their opinions or interests. You do such a great job make sure others feel noticed, loved and appreciated. You go looking for people at church to find out of they could use an extra hand. I am stopped often by a mother or volunteer to let me know what a great young man you are, and something that you have done that has been a blessing to them. I see how little kids flock to you and you focus on them as if they are the only ones around. I see how you laugh when others tease you and roll with the short jokes. You have such a gift with people. And I think its because your heart is to put others first.
I know too that these things are often hard. Because you share more with me—I know that these words sometimes hurt, and some are careless towards you. However your dad and I are so proud of you. You have learned such great skills to help you with whatever God gives you to do. Your love for God and doing what is right shines through—even with tough people, hard circumstances and trying tests. I have seen you look at me and I can see what’s really going on behind those eyes. I have seen you take a deep breath and choose not to react and although you will admittedly say you have a lot still to work on and grow in-I see a little boy turning into a man and with so much potential for his future.
Although you are enjoying more independence you sill very much love being around your family. Hanging out in Jack’s room, tagging along to all family functions and field trips, and you love church, dinners, shopping trips or anything where we are going to be with others. You are the most welcoming and loving person I know.
This year you played basketball for WFMS, and then also just finished your second season of soccer playing for the middle school. Your team with 11-2 in soccer and I think you lost 3 games in basketball last year. You loved spending the summer playing golf with Grandpa Randy. You got really good by summers end. You and I also spend many a morning playing tennis at FSU. You took up mountain biking and are still doing virtual school. You are 14 Caleb Benjamin. 5 foot 1 inch and 92 pounds. I can hardly believe it. Where did all these years go? From the days of fuzzy hair and naps to plastic bats and balls, to story time and nerf guns. Now heading into driving, and high school, soon enough. Don’t grow up too fast! We love you! Happy Birthday!

Comments