Pandemic Personalities
The Pandemic Quarantine--came right on the heels of a most excellent Florida vacation for our family. We enjoyed swimming, beaching, golfing, eating out, resting, walking and just getting away from the norm. It really wasn't until the last day that I started to worry a little about all that was going on around the nation.
Literally days after we got home--we were quarantined! And now, after over a month-we are all doing fairly well. Yet, we've all handled the quarantine differently. It's been fun to observe these pandemic personalities.
Caleb is our most social, outgoing, extroverted kid. After a week--he cried at dinner one night saying his low of this quarantine is missing people and sports/activities. Friends, family--even strangers. Yet, he also is one of our most positive kids--and has found many positives--including time with family, movies, learning more about virtual connection, taking time for hobbies etc. What we have learned (and probably already knew): He probably won't be a candidate for work-from-home jobs in the future.Claire is what I call a 'give her lemons and she'll make lemonade' type of kid. She always has a smile. She loves downtime. She loves lazy days, hobbies, and everything about her home. She also loves time with friends, going out, her activities etc. But she's happy doing whatever. She's flexible, never needing a plan, and easily rolls with the punches! So she's had fun baking, sewing, even reorganizing her room, finishing her school work super fast and reading--she also has learned how to host virtual tea parties, learned how to play some video games with her brothers, and enjoyed daily walks with Dad.
Jack has loved the quarantine. He believes the government should consider making this an annual event. He hasn't had one discipline issue since we started this 30 some days ago. He has absolutely loved the down time, extra time at home, no activities, no outings and it wasn't until day 30 that he said he kinda missed friends. He said he missed church and chic-fil-a, Mexican restaurants and our home school co-op. But we believe he will be a great candidate for working from home, and also not going shopping with his future wife....ever. But she could bring him take-out, for sure!
Ben has been working from home and he's doing fine. I think he likes the hustle and bustle of going to work everyday and interacting more effectively with his co-workers than all the phone calls, but he has enjoyed our daily afternoon walks, lunches with family and more time for exercise and eating right. I have LOVED him being home!
I haven't felt that much different, really. School days at home go by as usual...however the no activities in the evening have been actually really nice. I mean I love watching our kids sports and activities, but it is a dizzying busy too. I've really enjoyed the slower pace, the meals around the table every single night, and the fun activities we have scheduled in the evenings so we have things to look forward to--from movies, to yard games, to virtual bingo, Lego masters, or corn hole with friends. We've done puzzles, played cards, played board games, made a fairy garden, lots of yard work, taken daily walks as a family, done puppet shows, family dinner theaters, etc.
When tested on whether I am an extrovert or an introvert...I almost always end up right in the middle--leaning just a tad on the extrovert side. So, it isn't strange that I love this time at home with my people but I do also miss church, and co-op and having friends over and going to friends' houses. I miss eating out and late night shopping trips. But truly feel so blessed. I don't usually talk on the phone, and yet with more time and intentionality I have spent hours and hours catching up with old friends, and family members. It's been a special season for us and much needed time of rest. Not a day goes by that I don't thank God for the many, many blessings we have in the middle of some of the toughest days our nation has seen in my lifetime.
How bout you? What are you learning from your pandemic personalities?

Comments