Happy Birthday Jack!


 Dear Jack,


A teenager! 13! I hate to say this, but homeschooler or not--you are a weirdo! I think of Gonzo from the Muppets and that crazy Animal from behind the drums, and you are like a combination of those guys. Weird and crazy and funny. You are surely one of a kind, Jack Young. 


This year has been a very odd year. You finished winter by playing basketball with Jennifer on her West Basketball team. You all finished champions of your league and a great way to finish the season. A week later we headed to the beach to visit Maw Maw Sandy in Florida and that really felt like the end of our normal year which was never really normal anyway because so much had changed in our family after losing Dan last year. However, we came back and hosted one youth event and then COVID happened. The church quit meeting, the schools let out--we barely got testing in-THESIS came to a screeching halt and ended for the year, soccer never started and then a strange spring turned into a strange summer. While we enjoyed many fun hikes and bike rides, family game nights and movie nights and yard games and such, summer brought a new puppy. In May we went to visit Maw Maw for mothers day and would've never guessed that would be our last visit to her house! She injured herself a month later and came to live with us. As I type this letter she has not returned to her beloved Petersburg. She stayed with us all summer and had back surgery. She is recovering and building a house in Fairmont. She has been a tremendous witness to us of faith in the midst of total upheaval. All her normal things have disappeared and she continues to stay strong in her faith and in her drive to find a new normal here with us! 


School started back up without much fanfare and you began your second season for Middle School Soccer. You are enjoying it and playing a little bit of all positions right now. I love watching your fierce and competitive spirit and animated faces in games. You still like Legos but asked more for money this year--the practical side of you has begun saving for a car. You are growing taller, but you still love your momma and will even hold my hand and come follow me around the house looking for hugs when you need them. You mow the lawn, and clean the bathrooms and refrigerators, you keep a pretty tidy room and almost always make your bed. You don’t like to be sick or injured or inconvenienced. You always stand on the side of black and white, right and wrong and struggle with grey and grace at times. 


What I love about you most is your strength. You are rarely influenced by anyone--including me! You think through your decisions, choices and what you believe. You are a deep thought guy and I love hearing your take on things from school books we read, to politics, to faith and cultural issues. You are a teenager Jackie! I can’t believe it. I’m glad you have a dog now. I think you always needed one. A fluffy friend who loves you and is always ready to plop on the floor and cuddle. I think part of you might be a dog. Although if you were  a dog--I bet you would bark really loud and often! 


For your birthday we wanted to do something special so Dad and I took you zip-lining and rappelling at the New River Gorge. IT was an adventure for sure! And a special day we will certainly always remember. You said at lunch that day, when we were talking about favorite memories over the past 13 years, “I have had a great life so far. I wouldn’t change anything.”  I’m glad Jack for all these special years with you. We love you so much. May the Lord continue to strengthen you in His Spirit and mold and shape you into the man he has you to be and to fulfill the purposes in which he created you to be. I know whatever you chose to do--you will give your best and represent the Lord and our family well.


Happy Birthday Jackie!


Love,

Mom


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CLAIRE TURNS 10: TEN THINGS WE LOVE ABOUT OUR CLAIRE

new baby Claire --take 2

Dear Blog,